I think the hardest lesson through out the high school and college experience (for English classes) is learning--and most importantly understanding--Shakespeare. The reason why I chose this lesson is because Hamlet is one of the most taught Shakespearean plays, yet a very small percentage of students actually understand it. I believe Hamlet is a wonderful play full of great lessons, and it is an injustice to students when those lessons are not taught properly. The lesson plan can be found here. I believe this lesson helps students get a better understanding of what Hamlet is really saying and the importance of a soliloquy. Although I found this lesson to be rich, I did see gaps between the lesson, strategy, and the technology. The only technology used is YouTube, which is a fantastic source, but did not really delve into other forms of technology that might help the students better understand the text. To be honest, I think it's a little hard to find multiple forms of technology when it comes to looking into drama and plays. Yes, a SmartBoard could be used, but will that really help the learning process? I believe watching a YouTube or film representation of a text is sufficient, and even necessary, in helping a student physically see what is happening in a given text. Along with close reading and classroom discussions, a visual representation of Shakespearean text will definitely give students a better understanding of the tough language that turns students off to begin with.
Lesson Plan Spreadsheet.
I like that you chose "Hamlet" for your lesson plan, and you're spot on thinking that most people simply do not understand it. I also like that you included a video presentation of the film adaptation, because in today's society, film and television is a monumental part of everyday life. The lesson's deconstruction of Shakespearian vocabulary is also very helpful, and I really like that you included a discussion on WHY the text is represented the way it is. Great lesson and great adaptations!
ReplyDeleteColleen, i completely agree with you. A simple youtube video will not do. I agreed that students should first read the play, then watch the movie about it. Giving them two forms of the play for complete understanding. It is very hard to incorporate technology in English class, without students taking complete advantage of it (by going on the internet with computers, iphones, and ipads, and not listening to the lesson) The movie is a great way to help students understand.
ReplyDeleteAlthough youtube is a great tool I agree. It is not enough and students need to learn the way of reading. Having youtube and movies as an aid is good but it is so important to be sure the students do the reading and critical thinking on their own. The movie is helpful and a great tool but the book is a better learning tool.
ReplyDelete