Sunday, October 27, 2013

Music in the Classroom

When browsing through other classmates' (including my own) blogposts, I've seen some postings about integrating film into the classroom. While I think this is a great idea, have any of you thought about bringing music into the classroom as well? If film is considered a technology, why not music? Music is something that is part of everyone's life, whether we listen to it or not, and I think it would be a great cross-curricular vehicle to utilize.
Music is the kind of audio poetry that opens our eyes--and ears--to the outside world. It brings forth memories as well as deep conversation. I stumbled over this artcle by Johns Hopkins University that emphasizes the utilization of music integration in the education system. The article opens up a discussion on how and why music can be utilized. "Music helps us learn because it will:
  • establish a positive learning state
  • create a desired atmosphere
  • build a sense of anticipation
  • energize learning activities
  • change brain wave states
  • focus concentration
  • increase attention
  • improve memory
  • facilitate a multisensory learning experience
  • release tension
  • enhance imagination
  • align groups
  • develop rapport
  • provide inspiration and motivation
  • add an element of fun
  • accentuate theme-oriented units"
Music can be about anything from current events and social awareness to even the basics such as the ABCs. You might ask, "It's easy to use music in the English and History classrooms, but what about Math and the Sciences?" Well, think back to when you were a kid: did you ever learn a song about numbers? I remember learning a song about how to count to five that I'll never forget.
Music is something that we take with us outside of the classroom. I think bringing some form of music would not only interest and engage our future students, but it is something that can be taken away and remembered outside the classroom and, hopefully, for the rest of our lives.

"Music is the electrical soil in which the spirit lives, thinks and invents." - Ludwig van Beethoven

5 comments:

  1. Nice post!! It's nice to see another educator talking about the benefits of music in the classroom! Your content is English according to your past posts so there are tons of ways to integrate the two.
    I remember I made a song that titled something like "Persephone Blues" where I sang a blues about how sad I was that Persephone didn't like me (Hades). Something like that is assuming that everyone knows an instrument but it was certainly a meaningful assignment. Depending on your unit you can take the music of that time period and analyze how the music reflected the time and thus the literature. For example, if the students read To Kill A Mockingbird, perhaps the students can research the music of that time and present in what ways they are similar (blackface, minstrel music, etc.) I hope I have helped in sparking some ideas for collaboration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Colleen,

    This is a great post and an absolutely terrific strategy, in my opinion. The article you posted is really interesting. I've seen several studies as well which show the positive effect that many types of music have on the brain; it has the ability to calm a student, help to organize thoughts, let go of stress, and really focusses a lot on internal aspects of education that many people don't even think about.

    One aspect of music in schools that has saddened me is that some school now make students listen to classical music in detention. While I understand it (for all the reasons you and I have listed), it also relates classical music with punishment which I think is a connection that should never be made.

    Once again, I really enjoyed the post!
    -Peter

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Colleen,

    As a fellow music lover, I would love to integrate music into my lesson plans as well. I think music offers something that no other discipline offers, as it deals with a language of its own. I don't think that we should simply play a song in the beginning of class, as this is a cheap way to use music, but rather actually use it during the lesson to teach content. It would be great for students to analyze both the literature and the music of a particular period. If the lesson is on Shakespeare, for example, the students can talk about the theory of the music of the spheres, or analyze why Shakespeare integrated music into his plays. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post! I loved the article that you found. It really goes into detail explaining all of the great benefits of using music to learn. I remember so many things from elementary and middle school due to the integration of music and song into the lessons. Its a great way to remember things like the times tables, or the periodic table. By putting them to melodies it makes the content more memorable while being more appealing at the same time. Great post! By the way I love the quote by Beethoven.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A very valuable resource indeed! I appreciate this post as a music teacher and hope you can find interesting and useful ways of incorporating music into your classroom. I agree with the article 100% and I would love to be a student in your future classroom.

    ReplyDelete