Sunday, November 17, 2013

Collaboration Canvas

This week I "remixed" another student's PLAYground canvas that focused on the creation of walls and barriers through music. As a a future English major, I'd like to show students how music and art have also managed to break walls and break barriers between different groups of people. In my canvas, I wanted to show different musicians and poets who were made famous through some of their social commentaries on race, class, sexuality, and gender. I mostly focused my lesson on Billie Holiday's "Strange Fruit" (which was originally a poem written by Abel Meerolpol) and how that song possibly could have impacted a highly racist society like it was during the 1930s and 40s.  I also provided links to other songs/poems that are social commentaries. I think that music is the spoken form of poetry, and it's very important as an English class to look at the literature that it's composed of. Here's the link to my canvas. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment